Friday, January 13, 2017
Into the Breach
Hello from rather cold and cloudy Port Townsend.
I've been away and pretty busy in preparation.
Having left Tacoma, in early December, we made way and arrived in Port Townsend safe and sound, if a little cold.
We've been here for the last couple weeks, stripping Brigadoon in prep for her last refit before we leave.
This weekend we take Brigadoon to the dock and work float. There we will pull her mast and put her in the shed at Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-Op. Our PM is one of the Owner/Partners, Jeff Galey.
We will (off the top of my head):
1) Install our Hydrovane Self Steering system.
2) Replace the entire rig (all wire and mechanical fittings, replacing the check-stays with running backs). Paint the mast. Replace all fittings as necessary.
3) Pull and replace all chainplates and converting to bronze. The chainplates are Port Townsend Foundry made and are up-sized to match wire and fittings.
4) Pull, inspect, and reinstall the rudder.
5) Pull, inspect, and reinstall the prop, shaft, stuffing box and coupler.
6) Divide the anchor locker so I can install a second spurling pipe (on order from Port Townsend Foundry). This allows me to keep both rodes in the locker, freeing up the deck box.
7) Rebuild all chain plate entrances with G-10 plates to ensure full seal of the new plates and covers.
8) Go to boat show and buy:
a) Honda 2.3 outboard.
b) Rainman Watermaker with pressure washer attachment.
c) Honda 2000i generator.
d) The latest Spinlock deck vest model with harness.
9) Pick up our sails from Port Townsend Sails, where they are in for inspection and replacement of the UV panels on the genoa and staysl.
10) Install new stack on Dickenson heater to improve performance.
11) Finish that Deck Box project.
12) Install AIS
13) Perfect my design for infinitely adjustable solar panel mounts.
...all by April 1, (no foolin) where we plan on heading north, to the San Juans, Canada, Alaska, before returning here for a short stay before going back out the strait and turning left forever.
And we have a Facebook Page thanks to my lovely 1st Mate:
I've opened my own account at Admiralty Supply (I think that's the name).
I'm goin in.